Contact the California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General (AG).  The AG’s office establishes and operates projects and programs to protect consumers from fraudulent, unfair, and illegal activities that victimize consumers.  The AG also works to protect consumers through the Consumer Law Section of the California Department of Justice and responds to consumer complaints through its Public Inquiry Unit.  The Consumer Law Section prosecutes scam artists and fights deceptive trade practices.  For more information and assistance regarding this matter or to file a complaint, please contact the AG’s office directly at the following:

Office of the Attorney General

Public Inquiry Unit

Post Office Box 944255

Sacramento, CA  94244-2550

Telephone: (916) 322-3360

Fax: (916) 323-5341

Web Site:

You may use the following link to the California AG’s office to file a complaint:



Companies that offer to modify mortgage loans or refinance homes are regulated by the California Department of Real Estate (DRE).  The DRE enforces real estate laws to protect consumers in the sale or lease of real property.  The DRE qualifies applicants for real estate licenses, promotes professional and ethical standards in real estate brokerage, and regulates the sale or lease of subdivided property and property securities.  Also, the DRE investigates complaints involving unlicensed activities or unlawful activities of real estate licensees and land sub-dividers.  We recommend you contact the DRE below for assistance and to file a complaint at the following:


California Department of Real Estate

320 West 4th Street, Suite 350

Los Angeles, CA  90013

Telephone: (213) 620-2072

Web Site:


Also, we recommend you contact the California Department of Corporations, Financial Services Division (FSD), which licenses and regulates consumer and commercial lenders.  Mortgage companies operate under the California Finance Lenders Law and are subject to regulations by the FSD.  The law defines a finance lender as “any person who is engaged in the business of making consumer loans or making commercial loans.”  For your convenience, we have provided the contact information below:


California Department of Corporations

Financial Services Division

320 West 4th Street, Suite 750

Los Angeles, CA  90013-1105

Toll Free: (866) 275-2677

Web Site:


The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is a Federal Government Agency.  They have an online complaint form that you can access here.  The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010 (Dodd-Frank Act) established the consumer bureau. In January of 2012, President Obama appointed Rich Cordray to be the first Director of the CFPB.  This is a new agency, so their integrity in truly helping homeowners is yet to be evaluated.

Joseph Smith is in charge of overseeing the National Mortgage Settlement across all 49 states.  Although it doesn’t look like his office will work with individuals specifically, there is a page where you can lodge a complaint on various issues that they keep track of, at least we hope more than the government kept track of the Wall Street Bank fraud to begin with.  Click here to report your mortgage servicer Office of Mortgage Settlement Oversight.

Banks that contain the word “National” or the initials “N.A.” are national banks and regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.  An Example would be Wells Fargo. But be aware, John Walsh, the person is charge of this office, has already been the subject of much controversy as he has allowed the BANKS to higher their own auditors, so we know what the results of that are.  There has already been a whistle blower from within that has said the audits are a joke. But perhaps with enough complaints, this guy might start to remember who is actually supposed to be working for.

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

50 Fremont Street, Suite 3900

San Francisco, CA 94105-2292

Telephone: (415) 545-5900 (general information)

Toll free: (800) 613-6743

Fax: (713) 336-4301

Web site:

Latest Posts